Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Miss America/Faces of the Dead

For "Miss America", I found it really interesting on the way the picture is constructed. Notice the blood over her eyes... maybe this is signifying that her vision is tainted by the situation, like the war or violence in general clouds her vision. What I wonder is why is the man's head between her legs? I don't mean this to be immature, I'm just curious to its significance. Does it mean rebirth? Birth in general? Like these women are birthing a tragedy? Or maybe the woman is meant to be seen as America, and that it is giving birth to destruction. What was the artist trying to say by this placement?

"Faces of the Dead" I found really clever with the different boxes. One of the men, Andrew G. Patten, was a young man that went to the church I went to throughout middle and high school. I didn't know him personally, but many of my friends did. Coincidentally, the church is erecting a memorial building in his honor. It is interesting to see the pictures of the men and women who have served, it makes it much more personal. We hear the names on the television and read them on the paper, but this makes the viewer take these men and women into perspective in a much more relative way. If I were to group these two together, I would say that War is the system, and the people that fall under it, whether American or otherwise, are the individual.

-Cat Simmons

No comments: