Saturday, April 4, 2009

My Life In Chicago

I am going to tell you a story about my mother, Iris Maldonado. The story involves me. I am going to put myself in my mother’s shoes, speaking in her voice.
I was a young 22-year-old woman, with a 2-year-old daughter, Cristina. Cristina was born with cerebral palsy. I couldn’t speak any English at all. I also didn’t have any money to pay for her health insurance. One day, my aunt called me from Chicago and told me about the hospitals that are in Chicago that could treat my daughter’s disability. She told me that one of the best hospitals for children with cerebral palsy was Children‘s Memorial Hospital. So, there was no doubt in my mind that I needed move to Chicago to get the best medical attention for my daughter. How was I going to make a life style for me and my daughter if I could not speak English at all? How was I supposed to communicate with people. Those were the questions that were going through my mind as I thought about it over and over again. As I thought about it, I finally made my decision.

No comments: