Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ONE SECTION: Avila


They say the United States is the fattest country in the world, well Bertha from New York says, “We aren’t the ones who are fat but it is all the other countries that are too skinny.” The recent spark about obesity in our country has led to the cancellation of the super size meal at McDonalds. Bertha also went on to say, “Why would they decide to do such a horrible thing? Why do we care so much about other people think? We were taught as children to never pay attention to those kinds of people, so why are we doing so?”


So she started a petition to get McDonalds to bring their super size meal back. When one of the people who signed the petition was asked, “Why did you decide to sign the petition?”


He responded, “I think it is wrong that they decided to pull out such a great deal. I remember them having the super size meal since I was a child. I now have to purchase two large fries and two large drinks to go with my Big Mac, just to get the same feeling of fullness that the super size meal gave me. There is a recession going on and I should not have to pay 4 dollars more, when just a couple of years ago it was 50 cents to upgrade to a super size meal.”


But the petition might face some challenges, with the government promoting Healthy People 2010. Healthy People 2010 is a program where that wants us to practice healthy eating habits and to exercise more in order to improve health throughout America. When Bertha was asked about Healthy People 2010 she said, “I will not take this, I am going to live my life they way I want to and eat what I want, and everybody else should. The government doesn’t care about us, they just don’t want to be identified as the fattest country in the world.”

No comments: